Winter tyres alliance to boost winter resilience efforts
A strategic voluntary alliance, brought together to focus on the part winter tyres can play in keeping Scotland moving during severe weather, will help boost Scotland’s resilience efforts said Transport Minister Keith Brown yesterday.
The Minister was speaking after hosting a meeting of the Alliance in Edinburgh on 22 February 2011 that includes representatives from the insurance industry, tyre manufacturers and distributors and driving organisations, both public and commercial.
Transport Minister Keith Brown said:
"As part of our lessons learned from last winter, we are continually exploring options to ensure our transport resilience is robust. This Alliance between tyre manufacturers, distributors, insurers and potential customers forms one strand of that work.
“By sharing experience across industry, we can enable individuals and businesses to make informed choices about winter tyres to ensure safe and reliable journeys in severe weather conditions which benefit us all and I welcome the expertise and input of the Alliance partners.
"This work forms part of our wider response to winter and follows other work such as additional patrols and vehicles fitted with ice sensors that were recently announced.
“Collectively these measures will provide Transport Scotland, its operating companies and the public with more tools to help tackle the effects of severe weather, keeping our road network moving and Scotland open for business.”
The meeting was facilitated by Transport Scotland to enable the partners of the alliance to work together to address constraints on the uptake of winter tyres. The meeting focussed on market supply and demand issues and on the effective provision of public information about the potential benefits of fitting winter tyres.
Key outcomes from the meeting included:
- Initial planning from the Scottish Government on a winter preparedness initiative in Autumn 2011 to include workstreams on winter tyres and safe winter driving.
- Alliance participants will also take action to ensure consumers have the necessary information to enable informed choices about winter tyres and safe winter driving.
- A positive discussion on what the insurance industry may be able to do to help to provide appropriate reassurances to drivers on the neutral impact of fitting winter tyres on insurance premiums.
- Joint working with the Freight Transport Association and Road Haulage Association on specific information on the use of winter tyres for HGVs.
- A range of measures to increase the use of winter tyres on vehicle fleets owned by, or contracted to, the Scottish Government.
- A commitment from the Institute of Advanced Motorists to update their published information on winter tyres and from RoSPA (Scotland) to gather information from those who drive for work on the main challenges and potential solutions for businesses to continue to operate in severe weather conditions.