Name the Bridge schools competition launched
23 December 2012
Schools from across Scotland are being given the chance to attend the official opening ceremony for the new Forth Replacement Crossing in 2016.
A schools competition has been launched as part of Transport Scotland’s campaign to find a permanent name for the new bridge.
When providing a bridge name or comment on the special www.namethebridge.co.uk website, pupils from Scottish schools - along with their parents and teachers - can enter their school in a special prize draw by adding their school name.
A special advisory panel of independent civic, business and community representatives from across Scotland will consider the suggestions and draw up a shortlist which will go to a public vote in 2013.
The school which nominates or comments on the winning name will then be entered into a prize draw for the chance to attend the bridge opening ceremony as VIP guests of Transport Scotland and to visit the construction site in 2013/2014, also as VIP guests.
There will be one prize for primary school entries and one prize for secondary school entries, with seven pupils and two teachers from each school invited to attend the ceremony. Each pupil from the primary school will also be allowed to take along a parent.
First Minister Alex Salmond said:
“This is a great opportunity for teachers, pupils and parents to get involved in the search to find the name for Scotland’s largest infrastructure project in a generation. I’m keen that the Scottish public have their say on the name and, of course, that includes our young people.
“I would encourage all teachers and pupils to enter the name of their school in the competition for a chance to be part of the official bridge opening event in 2016.”
- The closing date for entries is 31st January 2013 and the winning bridge name and primary/secondary schools will be announced in summer 2013.
- Suggested names and comments for Name the Bridge can also be entered by telephoning 0845 259 1113 or by writing to Forth Replacement Crossing Contact & Education Centre, Forth Road Bridge, South Queensferry, Edinburgh, EH30 9SF
- The competition is subject to the terms and conditions published at www.namethebridge.co.uk
- If pupils, teachers or parents have provided a bridge name or comment already they can still enter the competition by adding a new comment to the name and including their school’s name.
- If no one primary school nominates the winning entry, then those schools that have entered shortlisted entries will be entered in the prize draw. If no one secondary school nominates the winning entry, then those schools that have entered shortlisted entries will be entered in the prize draw.
- The prize is for seven pupils and two teachers from each school to attend the official bridge opening ceremony as VIP guests of Transport Scotland. Each pupil from the primary school will also be allowed to bring a parent.
- Please be aware that the bridge opening ceremony is expected to take place in 2016 and may be held during school holidays.
- In addition, the selected schools will be given the opportunity for 25 pupils (accompanied as appropriate) to receive a VIP tour of the Forth Replacement Crossing site in the school year 2013/2014. The Transport Scotland project team will work with the schools to provide a visit appropriate to the ages of the pupils attending and agree a suitable date.
- All travel expenses incurred will be paid for by Transport Scotland.
- Suggested names and comments for Name the Bridge can also be entered by telephoning 0845 259 1113 or by writing to Forth Replacement Crossing Contact & Education Centre, Forth Road Bridge, South Queensferry, Edinburgh, EH30 9SF.