Transport Scotland aims to work with the rail industry to provide a modern, efficient rail network. We want to meet an increasing demand for rail services and tackle crowding on some routes by:
- optimising the use of the network by devising the best timetable for passenger and freight services
- improving the existing rail infrastructure
- delivering a programme of major projects
- upgrading the existing train fleet and introducing new trains to the network
- adding new stations and freight terminals to the network
- ensuring that services are accessible to everyone.
These improvements will provide rail users with a better experience when using train services. We want to increase the scope and number of journeys that can be made. This will help grow our economy by opening up opportunities for people, and enabling goods to get to market as quickly and efficiently as possible.
By investing in our rail network, we can also contribute to reducing road congestion and to reducing the impact of transport on our environment.